The Earth’s climate has warmed and cooled several times over millions of years. However, the world is warming far faster today than it has been throughout human history. Extra greenhouse gases in our atmosphere are the primary cause of Earth’s warming. Gases like carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane capture heat from the Sun in the Earth’s atmosphere. All this is discussed in great detail as part of Cowspiracy facts, issues about the environment discussed in the controversial 2014 film, ‘Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret’.
Truthfully, it is natural for our atmosphere to include some greenhouse gases. They contribute to keeping the Earth warm enough to support life. However, too many greenhouse gases can result in excessive warmth. Sadly, from the rise of the sea level to intense heat waves, scientists have time and time again predicted these effects in the past. There are also studies around the world that have documented the temperature increase of the Earth’s surface. This is something in which animals and humans alike are greatly affected. Still, people are not taking this seriously.
In ‘Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret’, the filmmakers make the controversial claim that animal agriculture is the main cause of climate change. Is it true? How bad is animal agriculture for our environment? Is meat killing our planet? Check out our list of Cowspiracy facts to increase your knowledge and please your curiosity.
- In the documentary film Cowspiracy, animal agriculture is liable for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cowspiracy also mentions that transportation exhaust is the reason for 13% of all greenhouse gas emissions.
- Livestock is accountable for 65% of all human-related emissions of nitrous oxide as suggested by Cowspiracy.
- In Cowspiracy, it says livestock covers 45% of the earth’s total land.
- Netflix released the Cowspiracy documentary on June 26, 2014.
- An acre of the rainforest is being cut down for cattle farming every 6 seconds, as mentioned in Cowspiracy.
- It says that meat production wastes a ton of water.
- Cowspiracy also talks about how raising animals takes up half of all water used in the U.S.
- Livestock grazing is being claimed by Cowspiracy as the number one reason plant species in the United States go extinct.
- Cowspiracy says 70% of the grain grown in America is being fed to animals.
- It takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of meat, according to Cowspiracy.
- Cowspiracy talks about livestock farming as one of the key factors leading to deforestation in parts of the world.
- Over 600 million chickens are being produced for meat in Australia as mentioned by Cowspiracy.
- According to Cowspiracy, more than 6 million animals are being killed for food every year.
- Cowspiracy suggests global meat consumption doubled from 1980 to 2002.
- Actor Leonardo DiCaprio produced Cowspiracy.
- 2 to 5 acres of land are being used per cow according to Cowspiracy.
- The Cowspiracy brings up that an average American consumes 209 pounds of meat per year.
- Cowspiracy shows that U.S. livestock produces 116,000 pounds of waste per second.
- Oceana and Rainforest Action Network are two organizations investigated by Cowspiracy.
Scientists criticized Cowspiracy.
The documentary claims global greenhouse gas emissions will have a 51% drop. That’s if everyone on the planet becomes vegan. Meanwhile, a study in 2018 argues, it would only be about 28%.
According to some, veganism isn’t the answer if you want to reduce your environmental impact on earth. Yet, researchers at the University of Oxford found something. They said that a person’s carbon footprint from food reduces to 73% if we cut meat and dairy products. This is one of those Cowspiracy facts that’s definitely confusing.
The relationship between human health and Cowspiracy
Overuse of antibiotics on factory farms is a leading cause of antibiotic resistance. There are shocking claims about this, too. It says that those living near factory farms may experience mental health deterioration. Children are also more likely to develop bronchitis and asthma.
Cowspiracy indicates that animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction.
Soil degradation, water, air, and land pollution contribute to habitat loss. It also causes species extinction. Lonesome George was a Pinta giant tortoise who died in captivity on June 24, 2012. There are several animals that are already extinct. Splendid poison frog, Spix’s macaw, Pyrenean ibex, and Western black rhino are some of them.
Cowspiracy and Global Warming
Reports say sea levels will rise by 7 to 23 inches by the end of this century. As the Arctic ice melts, one can expect a completely ice-free summer by 2040. It means heatwaves will be more intense, increasing the chances of hotter days and nights.
Cowspiracy and water pollution
Over 15 million children under the age of five years die every year from various diseases. The most common are cholera and typhus commonly caused by drinking contaminated water. Water pollution is a worldwide problem among the human population. The animal kingdom suffers from this as well. It’s been an issue since the mid-19th century. And it continues to be a problem that the scientists of the world are trying to address.
Cowspiracy talks about air pollution and its effects on our children.
It also claims breathing dirty air affects the development of fetuses. Children with long-term exposure to air pollution can lead to reduced lung function. Also, having to live with the awful smell can ruin people’s health and quality of living.
Watching Cowspiracy might convince you to go vegan.
This film claims animal agriculture is the number one reason for global warming. The film runs for about 90 minutes. It educates viewers on animal agriculture. It also talks about how it is the leading cause of environmental destruction. However, the public did not do anything truly concrete after watching the film.
Cowspiracy won awards.
Cinema Politica’s nominated Cowspiracy as the Audience Choice Award in 2015. Also, the movie won the Best Foreign Film Award at the 12th annual Festival de films de Portneuf sur l’environnement. Not only that, the film won the Audience Choice Award at the 2015 South African Eco Film Festival. It’s amazing how these Conspiracy facts truly made an impact on the big screen.
Kip Andersen is the director of Cowspiracy.
Kip is an American writer and film producer. He is best when it comes to producing quality movies. Aside from ‘Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret‘ in 2014, he also had other films. He directed the award-winning, ‘What the Health and Sea of Life’ movie in 2017. Together with co-director Keegan Kuhn, he began his career by directing the Cowspiracy. This then became an overnight success. He is also a certified Jivamukti and Kundalini yoga teacher and an entrepreneur.
Cowspiracy may not be suitable for children.
Just a clear heads up in this Cowspiracy facts list is that you will see some graphic scenes of animal death. It will also showcase the suffering they go through. One example is of a duck on a backyard farm. It was the beheading of a duck with a machete. Another one is scenes of elephants shot and killed with rifles. A dead wolf got slumped over a barbed-wire fence, too.