Blue Eyes Facts
Having blue eyes is quite very rare, and possessing them provides you advantages and disadvantages at the same time. Most people indeed find blue-eyed people very attractive since their eyes make their gaze more piercing and mysterious. However, it is not always good news for blue-eyed people because they can also be sensitive to things normal people are not. Here is our list of blue eyes facts that you probably haven’t heard of.
- Blue-eyed people are prone to be alcoholics.
- They have a higher risk of skin cancer.
- They are more sensitive to lights.
- Blue-eyed people easily get chronic diseases, such as diabetes.
- They don’t have a quick reaction time.
- They come from a common ancestry.
- Blue-eyed kids are reserved.
- Some babies born with blue eyes have a chance to change eye color through maturity.
- Eight percent of the human population has blue eyes.
- Most of the blue-eyed population is from nations near the Baltic Sea in northern Europe.
- The mutation to get blue eyes is rare.
- You need to have blue-eyed parents to get the same eye color.
- Blue eyes are rare, but green and grey eyes are the rarest.
- This eye color is common in Scandinavia.
- Those with blue eyes have less melanin.
- The blue coloring of the eyes is because the iris has a colorless stroma.
- People with blue eyes can see better in the dark.
- Mutation is responsible for why we have blue-eyed people.
- Oculolation albinism II is the gene that produces a melanosomal transmembrane protein that leads to having blue eyes.
- People would base from a baby’s eye color to determine if their partner cheated.
Blue-eyed people would usually get red eyes in photographs.
Melanin is responsible for the coloration of our skin, hair, and eyes. You get red eyes when the camera lights get reflected by the retina, exposing the blood supply of the connected tissue. So, people who have blue eyes and lighter skin get a higher chance of looking otherwordly in photographs because they have lesser melanin.
Blue-eyed people have cognitive bonuses.
People associate intelligence, purity, and insightfulness with blue-eyed people. However, this is still debatable and researchers from biology and psychology communities are still looking into it. This could be attributed to how sages, wise men, and shamans are depicted having blue eyes in folklore and literature.
A single recessive gene cannot affect the process of having blue eyes.
It is possible to have a brown-eyed child from two blue-eyed parents. This is also applicable to the opposite situation, meaning eye color is not determined by a single recessive gene. People’s common mistake is that they believe that blue eyes are recessive, but they’re not. Eye color depends on several different or multiple genes and the chemical reaction during their interaction.
They possess calm and peaceful personalities.
People who have blue eyes are said to have a calm and peaceful disposition. They are believed to possess one of the most attractive hues that would leave you floating in an endless ocean. Eternal youth is also associated with blue-eyed people, thus, making them even more desirable to the majority who are looking for a partner.
Blue-eyed men prefer blue-eyed women.
Eye and hair color are not only reliable sources of genetic inheritance, they are also some of the factors people would consider in finding a lifetime partner. A survey was made in 2006 by Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology was conducted where men and women were given photos of the opposite sex to select who is attractive for them. Moreover, the survey has determined that most men with blue eyes prefer women with the same eye color as them.
The blue eyes stereotype still does exist.
A lot of people would consider blue eyes as attractive compared to other eye colors since youthfulness has always been correlated with bright scleral color and large pupils. Having this trait would easily get the attention of other people, so you better play your cards well. As previously stated, intelligence and calmness are also some of the positive dispositions associated with having blue eyes.
A Vikings’ DNA shows most of them don’t have blue eyes.
Most would think Vikings have blue eyes because of movies set in their timeline. This, however, is fictional. A 400-year old Viking remains provided a solid DNA sample which solidifies the fact that most Vikings had dark hair and eyes.
People consider it the most seductive eye color.
Of course, we have our list of the most attractive blue-eyed celebrities who can back up this claim, such as Jake Gyllenhaal, Brittany Snow, Anderson Cooper, Reese Witherspoon, Alexis Bledel, Ian Somerhalder, and many more! We could tell that blue-eyed people are a preference in many productions. Blockbusters like Titanic and Jurassic Park feature a predominantly blue-eyed cast!
People believed that having blue eyes means you’re more connected to the earth.
In most superstitious communities, they would associate blue-eyed people as more in tune with the spiritual world. They are critical thinkers who possess great wisdom. People also believe that they are more connected to the earth, as well as heralded by eternal beauty and youth. This is much like the elves in literature, who have distinguished blue eyes and pale skin, and serve as guardians of the woods.
Some believe that blue-eyed people have supernatural powers.
While it’s most likely not true, we cannot ignore how people with blue eyes can be charming and attractive at the same time. So, we can just label these as their supernatural powers. If you’re a fan of the X-Men franchise, you are probably aware that some characters with blue eyes are quite powerful, such as Magneto and Emma Frost.